- ROMNEY: "But the real question is does Governor Perry continue to believe that Social Security should not be a federal program, that it's unconstitutional and it should be returned to the states or is he going to retreat from that view?"
- CNN'S WOLF BLITZER: "Let's let Governor Perry respond. You have 30 seconds."
- PERRY: "If what you're trying to say is that back in the '30s and the '40s that the federal government made all the right decision, I disagree with you. And it's time for us to get back to the constitution and a program that's been there 70 or 80 years, obviously we're not going to take that program away. But for people to stand up and support what they did in the '30s or what they're doing in the 2010s is not appropriate for America."
- ROMNEY: "But the question is, do you still believe that Social Security should be ended as a federal program as you did six months ago when your book came out and returned to the states or do you want to retreat from that?"
- PERRY: "I think we ought to have a conversation."
- ROMNEY: "We're having that right now, governor. We're running for president."
- PERRY: "And I'll finish this conversation. But the issue is, are there ways to move the states into Social Security for state employees or for retirees? We did in the state of Texas back in the 1980s. I think those types of thoughtful conversations with America, rather than trying to scare seniors like you're doing and other people, it's time to have a legitimate conversation in this country about how to fix that program where it's not bankrupt and our children actually know that there's going to be a retirement program there for them."
- ROMNEY: "Governor, the term ponzi scheme is what scared seniors, number one. And number two, suggesting that Social Security should no longer be a federal program and returned to the states and unconstitutional is likewise frightening."
Posts tagged 2012 Elections.
Scanning the audience, I see not a single brown or black face.
Poll: Most Dems Say No to Primarying President Obama
Let’s do our own informal Tumblr poll. I’ll post the results later.
Should someone from Obama’s left challenge him in the 2012 Democratic Primaries?
Hey guys, 58 responses thus far, not too shabby. I would love to have a better sample size of the Tumblr community before posting the results tomorrow. So I’m reblogging for those who may not have seen this earlier. Thanks!